Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Life's a Yawn...or is it?


Light years back, I had read in one of the general knowledge books (the kind that has pictures of the Dalai Lama and Merilyn Munroe together in the 'Fun with Pictures' section) that yawning is contagious.
On a drizzly August morning, I decided to add some colour to my life and try out this piece of lesson learnt…in one of the most unsuspecting of places…The London tube.
If you ever board a London tube during rush hour, you possibly cannot miss the archetypal Brit. Proud to the tip of his gelled hair a la David Beckham, he’ll be a picture of stiff composure in a grey Reid and Taylor. Juggling a copy of The Times (casually folded) and a PrĂȘt A Manger cappuccino, on most occasions, he’ll look through you as if you were a glass door. Even if he bumps into you for lack of city space, he’ll usually say a crisp ‘sorry’ and not twitch an extra muscle (for fear of getting a ticket?). To my incredible prankster-luck, all my co-passengers were such archetypes.
So I started…one ugly yawn (showing off my tonsils…at my uncouth Indian best) and then carefully stifled another. Soon the whole bunch had their jaws aching. Life’s such a drag otherwise. You need to add some jazz to it occasionally, don’t you?
Lesson learnt: Approaching thirty at breakneck speed doesn’t stop the prankster in me. Is that a pity? At the cost of getting arrested for creating public nuisance, let me put it in print…I couldn’t care less.


8 comments:

Haddock said...

Ha ha good one......and there is no age limit to being a prankster (I still do it)
I remember siphoning off the egg from the shell through a tiny hole and filling it with plain water and keeping it back in the egg tray.
Imagine the look on my aunt's face when she made a bull's eye with it !!!!!

Debanjana said...

Wow...that's really creative

Scribbler :) said...

hahaha...that is so cool. will try it sometime.

The Ketchup Girl said...

hahahahahaha!! i gotta try this on the oz trains!! i like the way u are approaching 30. But really Debanjana..not yet 30? sheesh, i feel like a freaking fossil!

Debanjana said...

Not even a week to go for 30...relax KG...I'll be a younger fossil, but WTF....fossil nevertheless!

Ritika said...

please, please can we not have this whole age discussion...
that slow metabolism rate..
that you-should-have-kid talk
that hello aunty thing
that you-don't-look-your-age stuff
that you-should-have-chosen-that-career-in your-20s speech

Ritika said...

am i or each one of us is subjected to such grey talk..
is it really over for us...?
and on an aside, i am reading eat,pray,love :D

Debanjana said...

Ritz relax...we will not talk about approaching 30 and beyond..it's just not worth it...to hell with everyone who thinks all the 'we shoulds' that you listed