Friday, July 16, 2010

Conversations




-I have to write…because the world is ending.
-??? Now what is that? A new obsession with the Biblical myth?
-Not an obsession. But they tell me, the world is really ending. I have to write that novel I always meant to. I have to….God!!!!I have to put the clothes in the washing machine, the dishes in the dishwasher, and the half-baked weekend lemon cake in the oven….how completely prosaic!
-I mean….
-You know what. Don’t stress yourself. Take a break. Enjoy the weather. Soak up some of the sun. Look at the clouds. Listen to the pigeons. Watch a movie.
- But what happens when the world ends? They’ll find me out. They’ll see through me. The would-be-writer who never went beyond the cleaning and the sweeping and the baking! That’s not how I’d like them to remember me. Not at all.
 - So you want to be this writer! Dream on.
 - Not a writer particularly. But someone who writes well…can cook up a novel in no time…collects deep purple evenings and keeps them in her apron pocket, and admires the collection while making a nice summer drink with blue curacao and angostura bitters…watches the pigeons and does some good oil on canvas….not a hag who works like a household ox!
 - So what’s stopping you?
 - The world is ending….that’s what’s stopping me!
 - Carpe Diem darling…carpe diem…it’s never too late to begin.

(My sincere attempt at positivism)


0 comments: