Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love...Bore, Kill, Move On...

I haven’t read the book. That’s a fault, if I really want to judge, and I have no personal enmity with Elizabeth Gilbert. Chances are she doesn’t really know me.

But the fact of the matter is, the world missed out on another great book and a greater movie. I’m not talking about Gilbert’s apparently revered piece of literature here. I’m talking about my life, which I could have written about, and then gone to Hollywood with.

Why not fellas? I spent my entire life, eating, praying, loving, and doing a lot of other action verbs that Gilbert seems to have missed out on. Maybe Gilbert forgot. Why didn’t someone remind her? She could have written about cooking…but Julie Powell has already written about that kind of pointless stuff…or maybe singing and dancing…and all the other INGs….

My point here is…I often have no point, and that’s part of my charm ( a la Demi Moore in A Few Good Men)…WHAT A POINTLESS MOVIE!!! I sincerely hope the book is better. No hard feelings, Gilbert.

Okay, so she leaves this guy. Is that supposed to be a huge deal? Worth 70mm? Not to say anything about the good 40 Pounds that we spent for this. Now how hard a slap on the face is that!

And please for whoever-you-care-about’s sake, stop stereotyping my country. This is not the sentimental patriot in me speaking. Not really. I am just a very ordinary, urbane Indian talking here, and I am just starting to get a little sick of the usual cow dung, and the flies, and the running children in traffic jams images that are passed off as India, the only India a western film maker sees money in.

I mean come on…and that’s a big ‘come on!’ Do you really have to show a rogue elephant when you talk about India? I have spent 29 years of my life in India, and I just touched the 30 mark…I haven’t seen an elephant on the road, and I didn’t spend my life in super affluent neighbourhoods.
And trust me…we don’t really get nubile 17 year olds in India anymore. The society has gone to the dogs, just like it has in the rest of the world. Why should it be any different? Teenage pregnancies are on the rise, (I’m not saying that’s a good thing, but hear me out) we have a very young workforce, most of which does not want to settle down early in life, the economy is doing good…I had raised this issue in Slumdog days as well…can somebody please make a movie about an India where we have decent roads, a healthy urbane populace, sexy beaches (like Bali)…go to Goa for crying out loud!!!
But of course, maybe I need to review the whole movie and the book with a bit of latitude here...some creative latitude! Gilbert, no hard feelings, but don’t miss out on Goa in your next soul searching oh-what-a-wonderful-revelation trip.

3 comments:

Ritika said...

i couldn't agree more, i read the book and i quite liked it, so i headed to the movie, with my mum thinking it would be a lovely experience, but omg, it was a disaster.
even the spaghetti looked insipid.
trust me debu, the good moments of the book were nowhere to be seen.
at 280 bucks [INR] it hurt me less. :)

Debanjana said...

As I said...let's hope the book is better than the movie...what a disgusting show of stereotypes!

Scribbler :) said...

Am so happy I did not give in to the peer pressure to watch this movie.

And yes...totally agree with you on the "image" of India portrayed....of snake charmers and elephants and yogi babas by the Ganges! Ridiculous.